Essar Steel Limited, one of the leading steel makers among private sector steel making companies in India, has started operating its second unit of Conarc Furnace as part of its ongoing capacity expansion plan. With a capacity of 2.5 million tonne per annum (MTPA), the second furnace take total capacity of steel melt shop to five million tonne now. With this, Essar Steel has commissioned all steel making units, iron making and rolling units that are part of its 10 MTPA expansion project except a Corex unit which is to be commissioned later this year.
ESSAR Steel - Existing Capacity (Expansions)
Essar Steel is fully integrated from mining to retail and has strong downstream capability with a global retail capacity in excess of 3 million tones per annum (MTPA). Essar Steel has in its basket a wide range of products catering to a variety of sectors such as General Engineering, Hydrocarbon Industry, Welded Tubes, Electrical and Automotive industries. According to the company, Essar Steel’s Hazira Steel Complex having a complete infrastructure setup including a captive port, lime plant and oxygen plant will be India's largest flat steel facility at any single location and amongst the ten largest facilities in the world. The company is also India’s largest exporter of flat products to the US and European markets, and to those of South East Asia and the Middle East countries.
The Conarc Furnace will be fed with inputs from Blast Furnace with a capacity of 1.73 MTPA (already commissioned), DRI with a capacity of 1.74 MTPA (already commissioned) and two Corex units of 0.87 MTPA of which one is already commissioned while the second unit is slated for commissioning in December this year. The Vishakhapatnam Pellet Complex has a capacity of 8 MTPA while Essar Steel possesses an 8 MTPA beneficiation plant at Bailadila and the world’s largest capacity Hot Briquetted Iron (HBI) plant with MIDREX technology at Hazira (later integrated it with DC–EAF and hot strip rolling mill with a capacity of around 5 MTPA). The capacity of Shree Precoated Steel Limited (SPSL) Colour Coated Line is 400000 TPA (ton per year), of Cold Rolling Mill is 600000 TPA of Galvanizing Mill is 500000 TPA, and of Pickling Line 650000 TPA. With aggressive expansion plans in India, as well as Asia and the US, Essar Steel has a target to achieve a capacity of 14 MTPA by 2011-12. .
- Indian consortium AFISCO led by Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) wins mining rights of Afghanistan's Hajigak Iron Ore Deposits
- Essar Steel hopes to meet iron ore needs from Odisha project
- COREX® : An Innovative Iron making Metallurgical Process
- Direct Reduction (DR) Processes - First No Coke Option for Iron Making
- MIDREX - The Most Widely accepted Direct Reduction (DR) Process of Iron-making
- ROMELT - Another No Coke Alternative Smelting Reduction (SR) Process of Iron making
- The FINEX® Process: The Latest Smelting Reduction (SR) Ironmaking Technology
- Indian Steel Industry : An account of Public and Private Sector Steel Plants in India